4 credits. Professor: Dr. Tovar Contact Information
- Course Text is Precalculus, 2nd ed. by Narahimhan, xyz textbooks.
- Course Begins with solving elementary algebraic equations.
- Course Covers functions and their graphs and inverses
- Course Covers Narasimhan, ch. 1 to 4, starting with section 1.5.
Check Withdraw/Drop Dates (Do NOT stop coming to class without dropping or withdrawing)
Class Schedule and Assigned Homework (click link or scroll down)
How to Succeed in College Algebra:
- Make sure you have the prerequisites for the course, in this case Math 095 or a suitable score on the placement test.
- Go to Class, Take Notes, and Review Them OFTEN (Required)
- Make a Calendar Schedule (Like This). Pencil in all of your classes including College Algebra. Write in an ADDITIONAL 10 hours for study. Be sure some of the hours cover the time when you can...
- Visit the Learning Center so you can get some FREE face-to-face help from a paid tutor (Loso 234)
- Do your Homework. Try to do some of the homework BEFORE you read the section.
- Read your Textbook. Probably you won't be able to do all of the homework assignment before reading the book, but you will know what to pay special attention to.
- Meet with a Study Group. Sometimes the explanations that make the most sense to you are the ones that come from your fellow students. Likewise, you will cement your understanding of the material when you explain it to someone else.
- Read How to Study Math by Paul Dawkins
- Read a College Algebra Online Textbook with examples! (scroll down)
- Tovar's simple "Cheat Sheet" or a more detailed online formula "Cheat Sheet"
- Watch any part of an entire College Algebra Course in VIDEO!
- Example data in graph format, Pacific Crest Trail (scroll down), % Grade = slope = rise/run (inches/ft) = tan(theta). Max grade for trails.
- Chinese Legend, Rice on chessboard, Folding a piece of paper
- width = .1 mm x 2^n: 6 ( 23 (.839 km), 103 (1.01x27 m)
- Dr. T: bring paper and a ruler to class
- Tovar's Sexy Math Talk!
All web information relating to this course is subject to change.
Note: Exams and Quizzes are Closed Book, 1 Page of Notes, Open Non-graphing Calculator
Class Activities Assignments Due Week 1 Monday: Take Roll
Go over Syllabus
hw1c assingned Week 2 (Check Grade Option Date) Monday:
Wednesday: Quiz #1 HW1 Due
Week 3 Monday:
Wednesday: Exam 1: HW 2 Due
Week 4 (Check Drop Date)
Wednesday: Quiz #2: HW 3 Due
Week 5 Monday:
Wednesday: Exam 2: HW 4 Due
Week 6 Monday: Tovar Sick, No class
Week 7 (Check Withdraw Date) Monday:
Wednesday: Quiz #3 HW 5 Due
Week 8 Monday:
Wednesday: Exam 3: HW 6 Due
Week 9 Monday:
Tuesday: Quiz #4 HW 7 Due
Week 10 Monday: Exam 4: HW 8 Due
Thursday: No Class
Extra Credit due: Practice Final
Maintained Division of Science and Mathematics, Eastern Oregon University.
©Eastern Oregon University, 2008.
Direct comments and questions to email@example.com